Jump to main content
An official website of the United States government.
United States Environmental Protection Agency
Chemicals and Toxics
Environmental Information by Location
Land, Waste, and Cleanup
Laws & Regulations
By Business Sector
Laws and Executive Orders
Policy and Guidance
Planning, Budget and Results
Jobs and Internships
Labs and Research Centers
Laws & Regulations
You are here:
The Glossary will provide you a complete list of definitions, acronyms and abbreviations that are used on this site.
- The complete list of definitions, acronyms and abbreviations.
Use the links below to get a list of each code.
- Form codes describe the general physical and chemical characteristics of a hazardous waste.
Management Method Codes
- Management method codes describe the type of hazardous waste management system used to treat, recover, or dispose a hazardous waste.
- Source codes describe the type of process or activity (i.e., source) from which a hazardous waste was generated.
Dxxx - Characteristics of Hazardous Waste (See 40 CFR 261.24)
Fxxx - Hazardous Waste from Non-specific Sources (See 40 CFR 261.31)
Kxxx - Hazardous Waste from Specific Sources (See 40 CFR 261.32)
Pxxx - Discarded Commercial Chemical Products, Off-specification Species, Container Residuals, and Spill Residues thereof - Acute Hazardous Waste (See 40 CFR 261.33)
Uxxx - Discarded Commercial Chemical Products, Off-specification Species, Container Residuals, and Spill Residues thereof - Toxic Wastes (See 40 CFR 261.33)
Waste Minimization Codes
- Waste minimization codes describe the type of waste minimization, recycling, or pollution prevention efforts used to reduce the volume and toxicity of the hazardous waste generated at your facility.
- Process codes specify the unit group's current waste treatment, storage, or disposal process.
RCRAInfo Web Home